Note: Some features listed / screenshots may be for new versions, that might not be available in the app store yet. This will always be indicated to avoid confusion. The current available version can be seen beneath the buy now link.
GedView is a viewer and recording tool for your genealogy database when you are out and about researching local records, or visiting locations such as graveyards looking for information. It is compatible with iPhone/iPod/iPad devices running iOS 6.1 or above (iPad, iPhone 3GS or newer, iPod Touch 3rd generation or newer). 3G iPhones, second generation iPod Touch devices or earlier are unfortunetly no longer supported.
GedView acts as a way to quickly check up on family relationships, dates/locations of events, sources of information, and view your notes, or record newly found information while you are out researching.
No specific desktop application is required as standard GEDCOM files are used for importing data. These can be encoded as ASCII, ANSI, ANSEL, UTF-8, or UTF-16. and can be imported from websites, over WiFi, from iTunes, email attachments, or opened from other apps.
As complete trees are kept on your iPhone/iPod/iPad you can always access your data, even if you have no network signal.
Information can be browsed via:
- A surname index, leading down to an index of individuals with the same surname. Selecting an individual will show that person, along with any events, their parents, and any spouses or children they may have.
- A family index, leading down to the parents and children for the selected family, along with family related events (1.2 and above)
Possible future updates include:
- Support all name pieces and phonetic variations
- Location awareness, show a list of events that occured in your current location
- Desktop app (Linux/MacOSX/Windows) to allow database creation for GEDCOM files too large to import directly on an iPhone/iPod and support images, video etc.
- More / Improved Reports
- iPad Specific User Interface
ScreenshotsScreenshots are from version 2.4
- Import GEDCOM files by download over GPRS, EDGE, 3G,or WiFi
- Import GEDCOM files by uploading over WiFi (Bonjour supported)
- Import GEDCOM files from email attachments (2.14 and above, iPad / iOS4 and above)
- Import GEDCOM files from other apps, such as Safari or Dropbox. Compatible sites include RootsWeb, Ancestry, and FamilySearch(2.14 and above, iPad / iOS4 and above)
- Import GEDCOM files over USB cable via iTunes. (2.14 and above, iPad / iOS4 and above)
- Import zip compressed GEDCOM files. (2.14.2 and above)
- Multitasking support, import GEDCOM files in the background, or simply quickly switch between apps such as Safari and GedView.(2.14.1 and above, iOS4 and above, except iPhone 3G / 2nd Generation iPod Touch)
- Import media files such as photos, video, audio, and other documents when importing from a zip file. (3.0 and above)
- Create new databases (2.8 and above)
- Passcode security lock (2.8 and above)
- Portrait and Landscape mode support
- Supports all standard GEDCOM event types
- Supports LDS Ordinances and Sealings (2.16 and above)
- LDS Temple list including address and longitude/latitude for selecting the correct temple for ordinances / sealings (2.16 and above)
- Support for many custom events / facts used by various genealogy applications
- ASCII, ANSI, ANSEL, UTF-8, UTF-16 character set support
- Individual and Family views (Only Indvidual in 1.0)
- Sources and Notes for events/facts (1.2 and above)
- Notes for individuals / families (1.2 and above)
- Browse by Surname, Given Name, or by Family (by Family only available in 1.2 and above)
- Bookmarking of families/individuals (1.2 and above)
- Search by fullname, surname, or given name, or Ancestral file number (1.2 and above, fullname search 1.4 and above, ancestral file number 2.16 and above)
- Works with large GEDCOM files (largest tested ~90MB and ~380k individuals which took 25 minutes to import on an iPhone 4. Works best with a few thousand individuals on a 3G/2nd Gen iPod Touch, 3GS/3rd Gen iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone 4 can support much higher numbers)(1.2 and above, 1.0 limit is ~25k individuals)
- Dates are parsed allowing events / facts / people to be sorted by date.(1.4 and above)
- View location of an event / fact.(1.4 and above)
- Call an individual where a phone number is recorded in an event or for that person. (2.6 and above, iPhone only)
- Email an individual where an email address is recorded in an event or for that person. (2.6 and above)
- View web pages recorded in an event or for a person. (2.6 and above)
- Support for multiple databases.(1.4 and above)
- Editing support (add/edit/delete) for individuals, families, events, facts, notes, and source citations (2.0 and above, famlies 2.6 and above)
- GPS / Cell location / WiFi location can be used to record the current latitude/longitude when editing a place for an event/fact (2.0 and above)
- Export complete database or just changes since a given date as a GEDCOM file (2.0 and above)
- Export via built in web server over WiFi (Bonjour supported), or via email (2.0 and above)
- Export via iTunes file sharing (2.14 and above, iPad / iOS4 and above)
- Pedigree Tree (2.4 and above)
- Descendants Tree (2.4 and above)
- Family Group Sheet Report (2.4 and above)
- Take photos, shoot video and attach to individuals, families, events, source citations, or sources.(3.0 and above)
- Add media files via iTunes file sharing over USB cable. (3.0 and above)
Any enquiries, support issues, or feature requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a problem importing a GEDCOM then please provide the file in your support request (unless of course you consider the information private, but less assistance can then be provided without the actual file), even if it is something that can be easily fixed by hand editing the file yourself. This will allow changes to be made within GedView to handle common GEDCOM errors.
Details on how to import your GEDCOM files are included in the User Manual
The following problems are known to exist in the current version:
- Some names are not appearing
- Only a single name record is used for each individual, subsequent names are currently ignored.
- Unable to import from Mobile Me / iDisk
Using the download from website option you can only import from your Public folder. To do so you use:
http://idisk.mac.com/[your username]-Public/[your filename]
http://public.me.com/[your username]/[your filename]
- I can't import over WiFi
- Ensure that you are entering the address exactly as it appears. If GedView states the address is "http://192.168.1.3:8080" then you must type exactly that into the browser on your computer.
- I could import over WiFi but can't now
- The address your iPhone/iPod has been assigned by your router may have changed. Check you are entering the address as displayed in GedView / update your bookmark/favourite if you stored the previous address.
($3.99 US, £3.99, €3.99)
- iPod Touch
- Family Tree
- Family History
- App Store